Saturday, March 9, 2013

Gazpacho

Are you looking for something quick, healthy, easy, and delicous?  That's my aim pretty much every night, although I must admit, quick and healthy don't usually get a look in.  Gazpacho ticks all the boxes, and you don't even need any special ingredients.  I didn't follow any specific recipe, just took the best bits from all the ones I saw and put them together!

Gazpacho

1 carrot, peeled
1.5 kg tomatoes, peeled and cored
1 red onion, peeled and chopped
1 red capsicum, chopped
1 continental cucumber
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 spring onions, trimmed
1 anchovy (optional - if using, pound to a pulp first in a mortar and pestle)
3 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
a few tablespoons of finely chopped herbs - chives, basil, thyme, parsley
a pinch of cumin
pepper to taste

Simply process in the food processor until all the pieces are very small, push through a fine strainer.  You can leave the 'chunky' bits in if you like, but I thought the texture was much nicer after being strained.  Don't worry, all that goodness won't be thrown out - I can saute it down to use as the base for a sauce, or even use it in some savoury muffins.  

You can garnish with whatever you like; I chose chopped hard-boiled egg, sliced olives, diced red capsicum,  croutons, and mint and basil tops.  

No comments:

Post a Comment